Sunday, November 13, 2011

Me Time

I am in dire need of some Me Time. I absolutely love my job. I love the kids I work with every day, even when I don't. But I'm tired.

My band is taking a trip to Seattle this week, courtesy of a fabulous CD we sent in that won us the chance to give a showcase concert at a music convention. We found out back in April, and 95% of my life since then has been focused on our upcoming concert and making the trip a reality. I'm happy to do it, and I'm more than glad to be a part of one of those lifetime memories the kids will make up there in the rain. :) But I'm tired.

I am incredibly thankful for this trip. It has given me a focused purpose these past 7 months and in the process helped me handle the past year just a little bit at a time instead of stewing in my own emotions. I am so thankful for that because in a weird way in the insanity that comes with the trip has kept me sane. :) But I'm tired.

my overly bounteous purchase
SO TIRED that when I went to Barton Springs Nursery a couple of weekends ago and bought 12 new plants (shouldn't have done that...) I've only managed to get 7 in the ground. I've currently planted 2 mexican sages, a mexican mint marigold (the second died before I could plant it...), a winter senna that looks strange, 2 almond verbenas (yum!), a rock rose, and one of 3 somethings that I can't remember what it's called. Many of them replaced plants that didn't make it through the summer. Several though have required a bed extension that I'm super pumped about!!!!

I also bought some bamboo muhly that I got very excited by but have absolutely no idea where I even want to put it.
Here is one of my extensions that is still in the process of being created. I spent about 2 hours tearing up the crap grass that was growing there, removing all of the old roots and rocks, and preparing the soil for real plants. The Mexican Sage has already grown a lot since I took this picture, and hopefully I spread them out enough that they won't crowd my Hot Lips Salvia come spring. Just FYI... the bit of fencing was just to keep the dogs away, and the rock is testing how I feel about that look.





This is another of the projects I've started. Nothing grows in this part of my yard, aside from the rogue crape myrtle that I have finally just accepted is going to grow here after 2 1/2 years of trying to get rid of it. I usually have a few adirondacks in this corner which get a great view of all the yard work I've done, so I thought I'd do a little "masonry" project by laying some brick to create little seating area. This is my first round of bricks that is pseudo finished. It will eventually be brick and crushed granite in at least 3, maybe 4 rings. Lots of work, but a lot of fun in the process.


 As for all of the indoor projects Dad completed to the point of me needing to finish... that'll have to wait until I actually get some of that Me Time after this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment