Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I ♥ Hill Country Water Gardens & Nursery

O       M       G

Today, after having lived less that 5 miles away for 3 years, I visited Hill Country Water Gardens & Nursery for the first time. I have always assumed they only dealt in aquatic plants (as the name might suggest), but upon arrival I was excited to find 1) my Mexican Bush Sage - the subject of my quest, 2) a fairly extensive selection of Texas natives - trees, bushes, perennials, and annuals alike, including a bicolor sage that I rarely come across, 3) beautiful fountains whose sounds make your experience very relaxing, and 4) a HUGE selection of pottery and yard/garden art! 

Don't buy big box.... So much of their stuff is mislabeled and not in the greatest shape when you buy it anyhow. So much of their stuff doesn't do well in Texas to begin with, definitely not with our current climate. 

Find a local nursery you can fall in love with. I've always been a walking advertisement for the Natural Gardener and Barton Springs Nursery, but I am so pumped to find a great one in my own neighborhood! Like Natural Gardener, HCWG&N has free Saturday classes plus events throughout the year, like Night at the Ponds with local wine tasting and live music. 

This Saturday is their Gardeners Gala which features a huge plant sale just in time for prime planting season, live music, and demonstrations. 

SHOP LOCAL! SHOP FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE SELLING! SHOP AT A PLACE WITH AN ATMOSPHERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment